Monday, January 26, 2015

Beginning Poetry

Over the past week, Room 20 has begun reading and writing poetry.  We have begun each of our writing classes with reading several different poems from a variety of authors.  After we had read a few day's worth and had discussed some of the things we had noticed, we made a list of things poems could have.


This morning we wrote our first shared writing poem together as a class.  On Friday we had begun one, but it ended up being more like a list, so today we decided as a class to start fresh.  After all authors decide they don't like something and start again, so why can't we?

It took us a bit of time, but we came up with what I think is a great first poem.


Hockey Day
Written By Room 20

Listening to music as I get dressed
My team listens to “I Got the cougars” while it plays on the    speakers
The warm feeling as I slip my foot inside my skate,
I tie my skate tight or my skate will fall off.
The feel of cold air on my body, like winter wind, as I skate on    the ice
Get the puck,
       Skate down the ice to the net…
              YOU SHOOT, YOU SCORE!
The announcers calls “He shoots, he scores!”
The game ends
I get undressed
The bonfire begins
I hear the sizzling of the burning firewood.


No comments:

Post a Comment